Posted on October 23 2017
Make your Halloween treats more spooky with edible monster eyes - so easy to make!
Edible monster eyes are the must-have item for making any sweet favor 'monsterlicious'. Making your own is sooo easy and works out sooo much cheaper than buying them. Once you make them you won't be able to believe you ever considered paying for them and (if you are like me) you will have heaps to spare!
What you need:
- Royal icing (I used this recipe here)
- Piping bag
- Black food coloring
- Baking paper (or non-stick paper)
- Make your royal icing and mix the black food coloring into about a third of the mixture.
- Put the white and black icing into separate piping bags (or if you don't have piping bags you can just cut the corner off a ziploc bag).
- Place the baking paper over a large flat tray (or similar) and pipe away (maybe I am a bit strange but I found this bit really fun!).
- Use a smaller tip (or cut your corner smaller) on the black mixture.
- Make heaps of different sizes.
- They last for ages and have heaps of different potential uses, so make as many as possible.
- You don't even need great piping skills as it doesn't matter if they are a bit wobbly or not quite right - googly is monstery, right?
We recently had a 'monster party' and I was originally going to purchase monster eyes, but even online they cost a lot (for the amount I needed) until a helpful baker friend suggested I make my own... duh! I can't believe I didn't think of this myself. I was able to make heaps in lots of different sizes and I had loads to spare.
It got a bit addictive though and I just kept adding eyes to everything.
You can never have too many googly eyed monsters I say!
Happy Halloween baking.